10.14.2011

Early Intervention

I wish you all could hear Avery talk now. I'll try to get a good video of him soon just to show you how well he's talking. Sweet boy has worked so, so, so hard and has come far in improving his speech. He still has struggles and a lot of words are still hard to interpret, but to hear my sweet baby really talk and communicate absolutely warms my heart.

With that being said, here's my soapbox. EARLY INTERVENTION people! If your child is struggling, has been diagnosed with a speech disorder, autism, or any other delay, early intervention is KEY!!! As soon as I noticed Avery not keeping track with other kids his age a red flag went up. True, not all kids form at the same speed, but when your child isn't talking at all at age 2, there's a problem. There are so many resources out there to help special needs children. I know some parents don't want to believe their child needs extra help because no one wants there child to be "delayed." However, being delayed doesn't mean your child is stupid. It simply means your child may need a little extra help in certain areas. I am a firm believer that the earlier your child can get help the better off he or she will be. So please parents, if you have any concern with your child's development, ask your pediatrician. If your pediatrician says "wait it out" and you feel that something "just isn't right," get a second opinion. Your child is worth it! Ok, I'm off my soapbox now. You're welcome.

Avery continues to go to speech weekly and I meet with the special needs preschool next Friday to hopefully get everything finalized for him to start. Please pray this process goes well. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by our blog!