10.17.2011

apples and lemons {life is bittersweet}

As I was driving home tonight from school, I started thinking about how bittersweet life can be. Sometimes you take a bite out of life and it's sweet, much like an apple, other times it's like biting into a bitter lemon. Then, occasionally life gives a lovely twist and you take a bite out of an apple and a lemon at the same time. That's how I feel today.

I got a call this morning from Avery's school. About a month ago I started the process of trying to get Avery accepted into the special needs program at one of our county's elementary schools. It's an extensive process of testing and evaluating to get into the program and today I got the call I so desperately have been waiting for. Avery got in.

Of course I'm ecstatic that he qualified. Avery will be getting so much help and as I talked about in my previous post, he's getting the early intervention that is so critical. However, on the other hand, it's hard to accept the fact that my little guy has developmental delays and we are even going down the road of needing a special needs program. I want to scream, "Why my child?" But, I already know the answer. "Why not my child?" Just because he has delays makes him no less and it doesn't change my love for my sweet baby boy. It's just a hard pill to swallow that my little buddy is struggling. No parent wants their child to struggle. It breaks my heart and tears me to pieces inside. I'm doing my best to stay strong for Avery, but it hurts his mama's heart.

So today, my friends, I experienced one of life's bittersweet moments. A time when my heart was overjoyed because my baby is getting the help he needs, but sad that he's having to go down this road. I have no doubt though that my angel baby is going to push forward and succeed in anything he wants to do. He's already come so far in his speech. It's amazing to hear him say new words. No matter what, I love my baby boy and will keep pushing to get him all the help he needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by our blog!