4.24.2010

Fruites of the Spirit: Patience

Galatians 5:22-23
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control.

I have decided, in efforts to serve my Lord better, I should probably fill my life with more of his fruits. Just as the fruits we eat nourish our bodies, fruits of the Spirit nourish our souls. I couldn't really decide which order to start my task of being more fruitful, so I thought I might should start on the one I'm struggling with the most right now.

Patience.

We all need it, but we don't all have. Or maybe we have it, but just not enough of it.

I found this verse in my hunt for encouragement on patience.

But you, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness. Psalm 86:15


I think about my daily struggles as a mother and wife. Trying to get out the door in the mornings can be such a tiring task. Many mornings I spend picking up Apple Jacks that have been dumped in the floor, chasing Avery around trying to get his shoes on, calming a tantrum because he doesn't want to get buckled in his seat. I'm sure many of you have experienced these days. Some mornings, by the time I get in the car, I'm exhausted and my patience has warn very thin. These are the mornings I think, what would Jesus do in this situation. Often times I have to take a few deep breaths to calm down, but I really think "what would He do."

Maybe instead of me getting all festered up about Apple Jacks all over the floor I should simply pick them up, tell Avery "no-no" and forget that it happened. After all he's only 20 months old and yes he knows better in most cases, he is still learning to process right and wrong. Because maybe if I had forgotten about the Apple Jacks then when I'm chasing him around trying to put his shoes on, I wouldn't get so upset. I would be more focused on that task instead of still fretting about the fact I had to pick up the cereal. Then if I would just get over the fact that you are going to have to chase your toddler around to clothe them, I probably wouldn't be about to lose my mind when the tantrum comes getting in the car.

Are you following my theory?

I'm starting to figure out that letting things build up is taking away from my patience. From that I'm also learning that patience is really about acceptance. Instead of getting so ill with my husband because he doesn't re-cap the toothpaste, I just accept it. Nobody said I had to clean up after his mess and it's his sink, I don't have to use it, I have my own. I believe once we learn to accept the things we can't change, especially people, and accept things as they are, our patience level really begins to rise.

Over the last few mornings, I've graciously picked up my share of Apple Jacks. (Unfortunately, the dog doesn't seem to like them. Darn!) In doing so, I have patiently explained to Avery that it's a "no-no" and when it happens now, he helps me pick them up. If he spills them on purpose (he tends to do this if he doesn't get his way) we pick them up and I take them away. If he spills them on accident (which happens a lot too) we pick them up and set them back down where they belong. (FYI-we eat cereal with out milk, in case your wondering).

I have noticed a huge change in how my mornings go. I get ready faster, things go more smoothly, and we both leave the house in a good mood.

Turning to the Lord and asking for his help has paid off. Sometimes it just takes you asking yourself "what would Jesus do?" We often times think we need some huge revelation, but a lot of the times, the answer is right there, starring right at us!