4.01.2009

The Greatest Man I Ever Knew

A week ago today, I was saying my last goodbyes to my Pop. It was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do. My Pop was the greatest man I ever knew. I often pray that every man could be the type of person my Pop was. He was an awesome father, father-in-law, Pop, husband, and friend. I can only hope for a man that will treat me as well as he did my Nanny. They were married for 51 years and lived their lives for each other and their family. It’s still so hard to believe that he’s gone. Cancer is such an evil, evil, evil thing. I never wanted to say goodbye to Pop, but God knows I never wanted to see him suffer. I am so thankful for the opportunity to be able to tell him I loved him, let him see Avery, and spend his last days with his family. So many people never get a chance to say goodbye. However, the pastor at the funeral said that these aren’t really goodbyes, only “see you later’s”.
I am so grateful that I had Avery before my Pop passed away. My Pops name was Lawrence Bruce and I named Avery, Avery Lawrence, after him. I always said if I had a son that he would be named after Pop because if my son was only half the man Pop was I had raised a good man.
On another note, I feel somewhat strange at the emotions I’m feeling right now. I didn’t cry at the funeral home, funeral, or burial. I don’t know why. My only conclusion is I had seen Pop suffer severely his last days and when he took his last breath it felt like a sense of peace came over him because he was in the arms of God and not lying there in pain.
Pop was never supposed to die. Pop was someone that was supposed to be around forever and ever. I know that it will finally “hit me” that he really is gone soon and I am so scared for that day. Until now, I just take one day at a time and smile at the fact that my Pop is resting in heaven without cancer and pain.
I love you Pop and I will see you later!






Athens - Lawrence Bruce Couch, 78, of Athens, passed away Sunday, March 22, 2009.
A native of Clarke County, Mr. Couch was the son of the late Ernest and Ester Bradberry Couch. He owned and operated Athens Super Market for a number of years and retired from Bells Food Store. Mr. Couch served in the Georgia National Guard and was a member of Princeton United Methodist Church.
Survivors include his wife of 51 years, Vickie Lorene Bales Couch of Athens; daughter, Cathy Heard (Shaefer) of Bishop, Ga.; son, Eddie Couch (Kim) of Mt. Airy, Ga.; grandchildren, Justin Couch (Brenna), Amanda Tibbs (Shawn), Cristin Heard, Callie Heard, Andrew Shirley and Bridget Shirley; great-grandchildren, Avery Heard, Bowie Couch, Brady Couch and Emma Stratton; and a number of nieces and nephews.
Funeral services will be held 11 a.m., Wednesday, March 25, at Bernstein Funeral Home Chapel with Rev. Russell Repetske officiating. Interment will follow at Evergreen Memorial Park. The family will receive friends from 6 p.m. - 8 p.m., Tuesday, March 24, at Bernstein.
The Princeton United Methodist Men's Group will serve as honorary pallbearers.
In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made to the Princeton United Methodist Memorial Fund, 2390 S. Lumpkin St., Athens, GA 30606.
Bernstein Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements. www.bernsteinfuneralhome.com.